MYSTERY surrounds the death of a woman found in the toilets of a Southampton pub.

It is not known why Hayley Woolley took a fatal overdose of prescription medication.

The 38-year-old was discovered unresponsive in the toilets of The Cowherds pub, The Avenue, after taking the overdose.

An inquest heard members of the public, paramedics and police tried to save her life, but she died the following morning in Southampton General Hospital after suffering internal bleeding.

Winchester Coroner’s Court heard the mother had a history of mental health problems, and had been suffering from a heart condition.

Despite various attempts to find a treatment for her condition, none proved successful.

The inquest heard Ms Woolley, of Maryat Way, Whiteley, had struggled with the lack of answers and became fixed on the idea of having a pacemaker inserted, despite doctors telling her it was not the right option.

It was also heard that Ms Woolley had previously overdosed on her heart medication, but she told doctors at the time that it was accidental.

Pathologist Dr Vipul Foria confirmed the cause of death was prescription medication.

One explanation offered by Jonathan Gaydon, a barrister representing Ms Woolley family, was that she may have been trying to induce a cardiac event near to Southampton General Hospital in the hope that it would lead to a pacemaker being fitted.

However, senior coroner Grahame Short said he could not find enough evidence to prove it. He also ruled out suicide.

Instead, Mr Short recorded a conclusion of drug-related death. He said: “I have to say this is an unusual case.”

During the inquest, concerns were also raised about the way the sharing of information relating to Ms Woolley’s case was handled. Mr Short said: “I accept that as a result of this inquest and with the benefit of hindsight, there were probably missed opportunities to prevent this from happening, but there have been no failings.”