BOUNCERS denied putting a Southampton father in a “choke hold” before he died following a brawl outside a night club.

Thomas Humpherson and Simon Hoff were both working as door supervisors at Tokyo Bar in Southampton on May 6, 2017 when a brawl broke out near the Junk nightclub shortly after midnight.

As previously reported, 44-year-old Jason Gregory was involved in the incident and died in hospital days later.

On Monday several witnesses told Winchester Coroners’ Court how bouncers had Mr Gregory in a “choke hold” or “head lock”.

But yesterday, as the inquest into Mr Gregory’s death continued, bouncers denied the allegations.

Giving evidence Mr Humpherson said he was trying to stop the situation escalating further but was punched by Mr Gregory. “We grappled”, Mr Humpherson told the court.

He said he and Mr Gregory fell to the ground.

“I was on my back and his back was on my chest. He was trying to punch me and he was threatening to kill me,” Mr Humpherson added.

He said he had his arms around Mr Gregory’s chest before releasing his grip. When asked, Mr Humpherson said that at no point when he was with him did Mr Gregory collapse or stop breathing.

Mr Hoff told the court Mr Humpherson had his arms around Mr Gregory’s shoulder and confirmed that Mr Gregory was moving his arm.

But when asked if Mr Humpherson had Mr Gregory in a “choke hold” Mr Hoff said: “It’s tough to say”.

Mr Hoff said he had never held Mr Gregory around his neck and said that when he approached him “there was some breathing”.

“I had his right arm. There was a lot going on and I released the arm. I was dealing with someone behind me,”Mr Hoff said.

The court heard that Mr Hoff then asked for an ambulance for Mr Gregory and put him into the recovery position but did not perform CPR before the ambulance arrived.

He confirmed to the coroner that he thought Mr Gregory might have needed resuscitation but when asked why he did not give him a CPR he said: “There was a lot going on around me.” He then added: “I probably froze.”

At the inquest held yesterday, Mr Gregory’s partner Melanie Stacey described Mr Gregory as a man with “old-fashioned morals” .

She said she was not with Mr Gregory when she entered Vernon Walk after hearing a commotion. She said she saw about six men in circle fighting and when she asked who was fighting she was told her son was involved so she started throwing her shoes in to the group. She said she was determined to protect her son.

Ms Stacey said she was restrained and only realised after 20 minutes that a man on the ground was Mr Gregory.

After CCTV footage was shown in court she confirmed she pulled Mr Gregory away after he threw some punches but she said she did not recall doing that.

The inquest continues.