FIREFIGHTERS tackled a blaze at a Hampshire high-rise last night.

Crews were called to Earle House in Winchester around 10pm to reports of a fire in a bin store area.

Two crews from Winchester and one from Eastleigh attended the incident.

Fire chiefs say the sprinkler system was set off, helping to keep the fire under control until their arrival.

Crews then managed to extinguish the fire.

They believe the fire may have been started from a discarded cigarette butt or another lit item, such as a candle, which had not been put out properly.