A TRIBUTE has been paid to a mum-of-three who died following a collision in Southampton last month.

It comes as an inquest opened into the death of Kim Bainbridge on the A33 Mountbatten Way on Sunday, June 30.

Winchester Coroner's Court heard the 51-year-old, of Buckthorn Close, Totton, died at the scene, with pathologist Dr Adnan Al-Badri giving a preliminary cause of death in a report to the coroner of severe head injuries.

Senior coroner Grahame Short adjourned the inquest to January 10, 2020.

In a statement released by the police, Ms Bainbridge's family said: “Three boys have been left absolutely heartbroken following the tragic loss of their mother and her friends have been left distraught.

“Kim will always be remembered in the hearts of us all. She had a huge influence on many lives and she was a happy-go-lucky person, always cheering everyone up.

“She lived her life to the full and had nothing but love, kindness and humour in her heart and soul.”

As previously reported, officers had arrested a man on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving after the collision which closed the major city route for almost eight hours.

Police have also issued an appeal for witnesses to come forward. A spokesman said at the time: "Officers were called to Mountbatten Way at 11pm following a single-vehicle collision involving a BMW 3 series.

"The female passenger, a 51-year-old from Totton, was pronounced dead at the scene.Her next of kin have been informed and are being supported by specialist officers.

"The driver, a 32-year-old man, from Totton, has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and failing to provide a specimen for analysis.

"Investigations into the exact circumstances of the collision are ongoing and we are keen to speak to anyone who may have seen the silver BMW in the area prior to the incident."

Police have since confirmed the man has been released from custody.

The road was reopened at around 6.50am on the following day – just ahead of the morning rush-hour.

Following the crash the westbound carriageway was closed from its junction with Southern Road, which leads into the Western Docks.

A diversion enabled drivers to reach Millbrook Road West via Shirley Road and Paynes Road.