A SOUTHAMPTON drug addict died at his home, perhaps because his body could not cope with drugs anymore, an inquest heard.

Paul Clark, 44, was found by his mother Janet Siney at his flat on Weston Lane, Weston, on November 9 last year.

The inquest in Winchester heard that Mr Clark, a former plumber before the drugs took hold, had died of an overdose.

Consultant pathologist Eleanor Janes, in evidence given by video link, said the post-mortem he had taken illegal drugs such as morphine and cocaine as well as prescribed methadone.

In a statement, Mr Clark's friend Peter Robinson said he had seen Mr Clark the day before he died for a coffee and "he seemed his usual self, he didn't complain about anything."

Mrs Siney, in a statement, said that she had grown concerned that she had not been able to get through to her son.

She went round his flat and finding the front door unlocked went inside. She found him on all fours by the sofa "as if he was looking for something."

Paramedics were called but Mr Clark was dead, the inquest heard.

PC Matthew Ward, based at Portswood station, was called to the scene and told the inquest there were no suspicious circumstances. No notes were found.

Senior coroner Grahame Short said the cause of death was multiple drug toxicity: "Paul Clark had been using drugs for many years and I'm afraid it was when rather than if that he would die as a result. His body could no longer cope with the level of drugs he was used to. There was no reason to believe this was a deliberate overdose."