A LAKE on Southampton Common has been closed after becoming contaminated.

Residents and dog walkers have been urged to stay away from the boat lake, which has been closed by Southampton City Council.

There have been unconfirmed suggestions that there is paint in the lake but a notice erected by the city council describes the contamination as "algal bloom".

Residents took to social media to share their worries about the incident.

One wrote: "It has been contaminated, either with toxic algae or paint, depending on who you speak to.

"The wildlife in the lake is being poisoned, including the swans and cygnets, and the water is toxic."

The Daily Echo has contacted the Environment Agency for more information.