A SOUTHAMPTON man “devastated” by the suicide of his childhood friend took his own life hours after arguing with his ex-partner at a party, an inquest heard.

Jamie Helm struggled to cope with the sudden death of Liam Cullum, who was found hanged in his home in August last year.

The 20-year-old reached out to his GP after feeling “angry and upset” over his friend’s death.

An inquest heard that Mr Helm was found hanged in a wooded area of Tanner’s Brook, Southampton, on April 14, after an argument with his former partner, Mary-Anne Morgan.

The inquest at Winchester Coroner’s Court heard the pair had argued during a party at Goals in Millbrook, which they had attended together despite ending their year-long relationship a week earlier.

Family members said Mr Helm returned home in an “emotional state”.

The inquest heard that he was heard rummaging around in his room and then said “I love you” to his mother as he left the house.

He also messaged his ex-partner to tell her he would be “in the backfields” and “see you in the sky”.

But the inquest heard Ms Morgan did not receive the message at the time as her phone was out of battery.

When she put it on charge she received the text and a group of friends went searching for Mr Helm, of Shinewell Gardens, Millbrook.

He was found hanged and pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.

Pathologist Jeffrey Theaker, who performed a post-mortem examination of Mr Helm, concluded his death was as a result of hanging.

Toxicology results showed he had a small amount of alcohol and no drugs in his system at the time of his death.

At the inquest, Mr Helm’s death was ruled as a suicide.

His mother, Sandra Helm, told the inquest Mr Helm had struggled with the death of Mr Cullum, who he had been friends with since his childhood.

She said: “He was devastated. He did not cope with the grieving for Liam.”

Ms Helm also spoke of her own devastation.

She said: “I will never get over this and neither will his grandmother.

“The thing I will remember most about Jamie is his smile.

“He was one of the kindest and funniest people. He would do anything to help you.”

In his verdict, coroner Grahame Short said: “I believe it was probably impulsive and had not been planned for very long. It was an impulsive reaction as a result of what had happened at the party.

“But I suggest, on the balance of probability, that he planned to take his own life and then put that plan into effect.”

If you are in need of support or would like to speak to someone about mental health, please contact the Samaritans' helpline number on 116 123.