SHOCKING video has emerged of a drunk and topless man’s “cowardly” attack on a police sergeant.

It comes after attacker Robert Mann was jailed for two-and-a-half years for the assault on father-of-three Nick Tucker.

The 26-year-old struck the unsuspecting police sergeant in the side of the head during an attack on Above Bar Street.

The blow sent the police sergeant crashing to the floor where he temporarily lost consciousness.

Sergeant Tucker, who had been a public servant for than 30 years, suffered fractures to his jaw and cheek in the attack, which was partially captured on his body-worn camera.

The footage shows a topless Mann in an aggressive stance with his fists clenched.

As Sergeant Tucker turns, Mann strikes while out of shot, causing Sergeant Tucker to fall to the floor.

The father-of-three later had surgery at Southampton General Hospital, where metal plates were inserted into his face in order to fix the fractures.

Daily Echo:

As previously reported, Southampton Crown Court heard that Mann was out in Southampton on June 23.

Prosecutor Mark Ashley said Mann was out in Above Bar Street with his brother and would later tell police he had been drinking “excessively”.

The court heard around midnight a fight broke out in the street near to Yates bar and the pair became involved.

Sergeant Tucker, who was on his own at the time, attended the incident and began speaking to Mann’s brother.

Mr Ashley said: “From behind (Robert Mann) delivered one punch to the right side of the officer’s face.”

“It caused him to fall to the ground and he momentarily lost consciousness.”

Mr Ashley said both men ran from the scene.

He said Sergeant Tucker suffered a three-part fracture to his cheek, which required the insertion of titanium plates to repair, as well as a fracture his jaw.

In a victim impact statement, read out in court, Sergeant Tucker said: “It left me in the most pain I have ever experienced in my life. It felt like my face had exploded.”

Mitigating for Mann, Richard Onslow told the court Mann had been “excessively drinking” at the time and not intended to cause serious injury to Sergeant Tucker.

Daily Echo:

He said: “He became upset that his brother appeared to be being arrested for being involved in a fight that he had not started.

“Instead of remonstrating peacefully, he took the steps that would lead to these awful consequences.”

Mr Onslow said Mann, who pleaded guilty to one count of causing grievous bodily harm without intent, was “utterly remorseful” for his actions.

Recorder James Newton-Price QC sentenced Mann, of Coriander Drive, to 30 months in prison.