A DRUNK Saints fan kicked out at his friend and then abused officers as they watched a pre-season friendly at St Mary’s.

Ryan Ward, who described himself as ‘eight out of ten drunk’, aimed a kick at his friend as they argued in the stands.

The pair were both in the Northam Stand as Saints took on German Bundesliga side FC Köln in a pre-season friendly.

Daily Echo:

 But Southampton Magistrates’ Court heard that during the game, on August 3, a police officer watching for trouble among the supporters spotted Ward looking “agitated”.

Prosecutor Charles Nightingale said: “The officer saw the defendant looking agitated and saw him arguing and shouting.

“As the officer approached he saw the defendant aim a kick at the fellow home fan, who did not look like he was offering any resistance or violence towards the defendant.”

Mr Nightingale said Ward then used abusive language towards police officers and was shouting and swearing.

Daily Echo:

Saints v FC Koln at St Mary's

 The court heard the 29-year-old was escorted from the ground and taken to a holding cell at Southampton Central Police Station, where his abusive behaviour continued.

When interviewed by police he said he could not remember the incident and was ‘eight out of ten drunk’ at the time.

He also told police the man he had aimed at a kick at was his friend.

Mr Nightingale added that the Crown Prosecution Service viewed the incident as “serious” as it could have caused a “ripple effect” among fellow fans.

He said: “The crown says this behaviour involved violence, was in front of others and in front of people of all ages and is not to be accepted.”

Mitigating for Ward, Michael McGoldrick said his client, who pleaded guilty to using abusive or threatening behaviour, needed help with his use of alcohol.

He said that Ward and his friend had since made up.

Daily Echo:

Mr McGoldrick said: “His friend is here in court to support him. Whatever differences they had on that day have long since been forgotten about and they are still good friends.”

Magistrates, who described Ward’s behaviour as “completely unacceptable”, made him the subject of a 12 month community order, including 30 days of rehabilitation activity requirement.

Ward, of Westridge Road, Southampton, was also made the subject of a month long electronically monitored curfew and ordered to pay costs of £85.

The match was the last of pre-season for Saints, who won the game 2-0 thanks to a first half penalty from Danny Ings and a second half strike from Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg.