THE roots of Royal Southampton Yacht club can be traced as far back as 1858 when they were went by the name West Quay Amateur Regatta Club.

The group were renamed the Southampton Amateur Regatta Club in 1862 before members split from in 1868 to become Southampton Regatta Club.

Club members voted to change the name to Southampton Yacht Club in 1875 and two years later, in 1877, permission was granted by Royal and Admirality Warrant for the new club to style itself the Royal Southampton Yacht Club.

These pictures were taken during a charity fashion held by the club on September 20, 1999.