THESE images, taken May 11, 1979, show Southampton Technical students and their principle Bryan Field.

The site of the college was originally occupied by alms-houses for the sick and infirm, dating from 1665 and known as “The Pest House” because some of the inmates had suffered from plague.

The first workhouse building was put up in 1831, the last of the alms-houses was demolished in 1865, and there were five workhouse blocks by the time German bombs caused evacuation of the residents in 1940.