A WOMAN who was "good fun" and “loved life” died in a collision with a train after struggling to cope with the loss of her boyfriend, an inquest heard.

Laura Victoria Coulling was killed in the incident on a section of railway in Southampton on May 24.

She was found with condolence cards for the death of her late boyfriend Stuart Hedley, who took his own life on a railway line near Ipswich three years ago, along with photographs of the couple together.

The inquest heard Ms Coulling took her own life weeks after she had expressed a period of mental health struggles to paramedics.

Ms Coulling’s father, John, told the hearing: “She was good fun and she loved life. She was very vivacious, she liked to socialise, she liked people. She could not stand being alone.”

“She was a loveable rogue.”

A week after Mr Hedley’s death in September 2016, Ms Coulling attempted to take her life on the same route in Ipswich but train staff stepped in to save her.

Winchester Coroner’s Court heard Ms Coulling had been drinking with friends at the Anchor pub in Redbridge on the day of her death.

A statement from landlord Wayne Woods said the 35-year-old, who was a regular at the watering hole, had been in “good spirits” until later in the evening after she had been seen getting into a silver car with a man.

He said she returned 15 minutes later on her own and asked another customer if they wanted to do a line of cocaine with her. Mr Woods said she now “seemed isolated”.

Mr Woods said he was aware she had been suffering from depression but described her actions as “very out of character”.

British Transport Police investigating officer Rebecca Saunders said Ms Coulling left the pub and went to her home at the back of the pub car park, where she is believed to have changed clothes and collected the sentimental items she was found with.

A report from GP Dr Lisa Manalang said Ms Coulling had been seen by paramedics in a state of deteriorating mental health and self harm in April 2019. After seeking medical support she told a doctor in a follow-up appointment that she was feeling better.

A post mortem by pathologist Dr Vipul Foria provided a cause of death as multiple traumatic injuries. Toxicology tests showed Ms Coulling had alcohol levels 2.9 times the drink-drive limit and cocaine levels consistent with recreational use. She also had therapeutic levels of Fluoxetine, which she had been prescribed, and ibuprofen.

Recording a conclusion of suicide, acting area coroner Samantha Marsh said: “Laura sadly never recovered from what happened to Stuart and the choices he made.”