FIVE fire crews rushed to a blaze in a six-storey student block in Southampton last night.

Emergency services were called to a kitchen fire at Chantry Student Residence on March Lane, Southampton, at 8.45pm last night. 

A fire had broken out in a kitchen on the second floor. 

Crews from St Mary's, Hightown, Eastleigh, Totton and Hamble were in attendance to extinguish the flames. 

Crews used four breathing apparatus, two jets and a ventilation fan to extinguish the fire and make the building safe. 

Crews left the scene at 9.15pm.