A BOYFRIEND dug his thumbs into his partner’s eyes and told her he would rape her during an argument.

Jimmy Wilson, 30, attacked his now former girlfriend at her home after they began rowing at a family party.

After returning to her home, Wilson launched an attack on the woman, in which he also bit her on the nose.

Wilson then later tried to console his victim.

Appearing at Southampton Crown Court, Wilson, was given a suspended sentence.

The court heard how the incident took place on February 19 after the pair attended a party at Wilson’s sister’s home.

Prosecutor Thomas Acworth said: “They began to argue. When they returned home they continued to argue.

“While in her bedroom he dug his thumbs into her eyes and pushed her. She screamed for him to stop.

“He bit her on the nose and told he was going to rape her.

“When she tried to run away he grabbed her and dragged her back into the bedroom.”

Mr Acworth said Wilson then tried to console the woman by kissing and cuddling her.

Mr Acworth said Wilson also damaged his victim’s door in another incident on April 26 and threatened her by repeatedly punching his own hand and saying the word “smack” in an incident on August 30.

Wilson, a carpenter by trade, pleaded guilty to one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, one count of criminal damage and one count of common assault.

Representing Wilson, barrister Berenice Mulvanny admitted Wilson’s offences were “serious and unpleasant”.

She said Wilson had been in custody since the incident.

Ms Mulvanny said: “It is his first time in custody. He tells me it has found it horrible, as he should have.”

“He tells me has grown up a lot in his two months in custody and has made the most of his time inside and has tried to address his substance misuse.”

She asked Recorder Simon Foster to consider a “onerous” suspended sentence order instead of an immediate custodial sentence.

Recorder Foster said: “These courts take a dim view on these type of assaults, particularly on women in relationships and when it takes place in their own home.

“You have been in prison since September. You say that it has been horrible. I am quite sure that it is.

He added: “You have shown that you have the potential to be a useful member of the community and have put your time to good use."

Wilson, of Tatwin Crescent, Southampton, was sentenced to a total of 18 months, suspended for two years. He was also ordered to complete 15 rehabilitation activity requirement days and 40 hours of unpaid work.