A HAMPSHIRE Chinese restaurant has been slammed by inspectors who found a tin of mouldy food, rust in the fridge and cooked chicken stored in boxes which previously held raw duck.

Inspectors also found staff at the Water Margin Chinese Restaurant in North Baddesley had not been trained in food safety.

Now the restaurant’s owner Kit Kwok Tam has appeared in court over the inspection, which took place in March this year.

During his sentencing at Southampton Magistrates’ Court last month, the 59-year-old was hit with a court bill of more than £3,500.

The court heard how food hygiene inspectors from Test Valley Borough Council’s environmental health team visited the restaurant, on Botley Road, on February 6 and again March 11.

Among concerns raised during the visits were an opened tin can full of mouldy food in a refrigerator, as well as a damaged refrigerator with perished seals and rusting shelves.

They also found ice cream tubs being used to store a variety of foods, as well as well as grimy floors, wall tiles, grouting and pipework.

Inspectors said there was also cooked breaded chicken pieces which were being stored in a cardboard box which had previously been used to hold raw frozen duck.

Meanwhile, staff were said to be untrained in food safety and the person responsible for training and records had also not received training.

A gas cooker was also said to be unsafe due to the build-up of grease and grime.

Tam, of Chilworth Road, Chilworth, pleaded guilty to a total of eight food hygiene breaches and one health and safety breach, related to the gas cooker.

Magistrates fined Tam a total of £2,000 and ordered him to pay costs of £1536.

He was also ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £170.

According to its website, Water Margin claims to be “one of the most prestigious restaurants in the Southampton area”.

It adds the restaurant offers “good quality, tasty food and a choice of fine wines “with an excellent service within a relaxing, comfortable and pleasant atmosphere”.

The Daily Echo approached the restaurant for a comment, but did not receive a response.