FIREFIGHTERS rushed to a Southampton road this morning after a van caught fire with a gas bottle in the back.

One crew from St Mary's fire station arrived at Gordon Avenue in Portswood after a commercial van caught fire at 10.09am.

The fire started in the engine bay and driver's cab.

One witness said that the van belonged to roofers working on one of the houses and the road had to be closed.

They added: "There were gas bottles in the back which the fire fighters bravely removed before an explosion."

The fire was extinguished using two breathing apparatus’ and two hose reel jets.

A spokesperson for Hampshire Fire and Rescue said that the van was 60 per cent damaged by the fire.

The blaze was extinguished at 10.52am.