A STUDENT died at home of a drug overdose, an inquest heard.

Aaron Anthony Wells, 21, was found dead at home in Holbury on December 20 after returning home from university.

The hearing in Winchester heard that Mr Wells had gone to Southampton to socialise. He returned home the following morning and fell asleep later that afternoon.

His mother Lorna checked on him, the hearing was told, and at 8pm found him unresponsive and not breathing.

Paramedics were called to the home in Roewood Way but they were unable to revive him and he died a short time later.

Consultant pathologist Dr Sanjay Jogai carried out a post mortem at Southampton General Hospital and reported that the cause of death was a drug overdose and bronchopneumonia.

Senior coroner Christopher Wilkinson adjourned the inquest until September 23.