PARKER’S Hotel, at the junction of Terminus Terrace and Bridge Road in Southampton – now the lower end of Bernard Street – is the backdrop for this 1906 photograph.

The men, all eager to be in the photograph, are stevedores from the Cape Company.

They are thought to have worked with the Union Castle ships in Southampton docks.

The mystery in the photograph is why some of the men are in fancy dress.

Others are holding musical instruments – including a cornet and a bass drum.

These days the pub is still in business and is known as the Flying Dutchman.