PARTY-GOERS left residents and councillors "disgusted" as another gathering kicked off just weeks after police were called to the same Southampton street.

Officers were called to Mercury Close in Lordshill for the second time during lockdown after a group of "30 to 40" people attended a party playing loud music, drinking alcohol and breaching the new coronavirus laws.

Residents - who said the party kicked off at 3pm on VE Day on Friday, May 8 - claimed that the group of people were partying until 6am and that they showed "no concern for the residents or lockdown rules".

Daily Echo:

Hampshire Police have confirmed they were called to the property at 11.26pm on May 8 and that no arrests were made.

One resident, who has asked not to be named, said: "Who can understand the behaviour of adults who shout and scream in the early hours of the day?

"Not even the most reviled, wild creatures behave like that."

He added: "How disgusting it is for these scum to use that treasured day as an excuse to break many laws and impinge on the personal freedom of a quiet residential area.

"Welcome to the lawless Wild West of Southampton."

Coxford ward councillor Matthew Renyard told the Daily Echo that he visited Mercury Close in order to check on the well-being of residents.

Daily Echo:

He said that he witnessed a large gathering "well in excess" of 30 people with no sense of social distancing and "rowdy behaviour".

He added: "May I personally say how disgusted I have been to hear and witness the events of the past few weeks.

"I strongly sympathise with residents and the wider Mercury Close neighbourhood, not just for the disturbance it personally causes them, but also the blatant disregard and flagrant abuse of rules put in place for the safety of all."

It comes just weeks after police were called to the same street after a large party kicked off on Saturday, April 25.

It was previously reported that up to "40 people" attended the party - smashing bottles, breaking wooden pallets to make fires and playing loud music until the early hours.

Police were called to the street but made no arrests.