A SOUTHAMPTON man who carried out 19 crimes across the city in 10 months has walked free from court.

Jay Louis Kitcher, 20, carried out a string of offences in the space of 10 months including assault, theft, attempted robbery and driving offences.

On June 20 last year, Kitcher attempted to rob a man of a bike worth around £1,800

On August 22 last year, he stole a speaker worth £129 from John Lewis in Southampton, and on December 10 he stole chocolate worth £70.40 from a Southampton Co-op store.

On January 1, he took a green Vauxhall Corsa Life without the consent of the owner from Devonshire Road, Southampton.

He was caught driving the car on January 13 on Wimpson Lane with no insurance or licence.

On January 10, the 20-year-old attempted to steal three bottles of wine from a Co-op store, and then assaulted a man.

The next day he attempted to steal chocolate from a Southampton store and just three days later he stole trousers, trainers, gloves and a jacket worth £79 from Decathlon on Harbour Parade.

Kitcher then stole a number of scratch cards from One Stop on Park Road the following day.

On January 26, he stole washing tablets worth £50 from a Southampton One Stop store and then assaulted a second man.

On February 24, he failed to surrender to Southampton Magistrates' Court and the next day he attempted to steal £65 worth of cheese from Co-op.

A few days later on March 7, he attempted to steal tinned tuna and salmon from Tesco Express on Wimpson Lane.

On March 18, he assaulted a woman and stole a number of meat products from Lidl in Totton.

Appearing at Southampton Magistrates' Court on May 27, Kitcher pleaded guilty to a total of 18 offences and pleaded not guilty but was found guilty of one count of theft.

Kitcher, of Helvellyn Road, Southampton, was committed to prison for a total of 12 weeks suspended for two years.

He was ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work in the next 12 months and must attend appointments with a responsible officer.

His driving record was endorsed with six points and he was also ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £122.