WITH the news of St Mary’s Independent School’s closure, the Daily Echo takes a look at pictures through the years.

St Mary’s College was established in 1922 by the Brothers of Christian Instruction and, with 30 pupils, was the first Secondary School for Catholic boys in Southampton.

Expansion during The Second World War saw the number of pupils rise from 200 to 400.

Between 1992 and 2000 the school began taking girls, and in 2017 the name changed to St Mary’s Independent School.