A RAPIST who repeatedly banged his victim’s head against a metal pole during a horrific city centre attack has been jailed for eight years.

Krystian Kwarta “pounced” on a 21-year-old woman as she walked to work in “broad daylight”.

His victim believed she “was going to die” during the attack outside Westquay Shopping Centre on February 15 this year.

Kwarta, 20, of Keyhaven Road, Milford-on-Sea appeared before Southampton Crown Court on Wednesday.

He faced two charges of rape and one of assault occasioning bodily harm - he pleaded guilty on March 21.

His victim was left with “bruises and swelling to her face, chin and the underside of her jaw”, as well as “severe psychological harm”.

The court heard how at the time she was wearing headphones but sensed someone behind her just before 8am that day.

Kwarta put his arm around her throat, “banged her head against a metal pole, pulled her hair and pushed her face into the concrete floor”.

Prosecuting, Timothy Bradbury told how the victim believed she was going to die and begged Kwarta not to kill her repeatedly.

After the attack, Kwarta kicked her bag away and stole her phone disposing of it near the former Toys“R”Us car park.

A victim statement read out in court said: “I feel scared all the time. I remember as my head was smacked against a metal pole multiple times. I remember trying to scream but no sound came out. I was in so much pain.

“I felt like I was being punished.”

Following his arrest on February 16, Kwarta he gave a no comment interview.

It was said how the night before the attack he had been out with friends in Southampton - drinking and taking cocaine - they parted company sometime after 4am.

He was defended by barrister Tom Horder with mitigating factors including his age and that he has no previous convictions in the UK or abroad. Meanwhile, Kwarta previously “expressed he was sorry for what he had done”.

Sentencing Judge Henry said: “She [the victim] is a person. She is not an object. You attacked her in this appalling way. At the time you saw her it was daylight. Your actions have had a devastating effect upon that young woman.”

Judge Henry deemed Kwarta’s actions degrading and violent and that he is a high risk to women.

Kwarta stood clutching a tissue and sobbing as he was jailed for eight years. He was given with an additional four years on licence.


t: 023 8042 4471

e: tom.orde@