A SECOND Gosport pub has shut following a confirmed case of Covid-19.

The Fighting Cocks in Clayhall Road, Alverstoke, is only a short distance from the Village Home, which was forced to close yesterday just 48 hours after reopening.

Several other pubs across the UK have also shut following confirmed or suspected cases of coronavirus.

A statement on the Fighting Cocks' Facebook page says: "Following a local confirmed case of Covid-19, we have made the very difficult decision to temporarily close our doors to ensure the safety of both our staff and customers.

"We have not had any reported cases of suspected nor confirmed corona virus, but have decided to err on the side of caution.

"The decision hasn't been made lightly and whilst we have made every effort to adhere to government guidelines, including the track and trace system, numerous sanitation stations and taking temperatures prior to each shift, we cannot guarantee that someone who has been in contact with a confirmed case has not been in the pub.

"We are awaiting further guidance from environmental health and also our brewery, but for the meantime, we want to ensure that we are taking every precaution to keep you all safe.

"As soon as we are able, we will welcome you back with open arms.

"Thank you to everyone who supported us over the weekend and thank you again for your ongoing patience. Its a testing time for all of us, but we hope to be back open and running soon."

Pubs reopened on Saturday following the latest relaxation of the lockdown.

But the Village Home in Village Road, Alverstoke, closed yesterday - just 48 hours after welcoming customers for first time in almost four moinths.

A statement on its Facebook page says: "We have had a case of coronavirus in the pub which means that some of us are in isolation.

"The pub is now shut but all being well will open again on Saturday."

The statement said customers who went to the Village Home over the weekend do not need to self-isolate unless they are told to do so.

Today a spokesperson said one of the barmaids had someone in her "family bubble" who had tested positive for coronavirus.

She worked on Saturday, when the pub was open for almost 12 hours and attracted around 150 customers.

The pub is now being deep-cleaned.