A MAN with an “unhealthy infatuation with weapons” who left his victim fearing for his life has been jailed.

Clive Shilcock aimed “a pistol” at his victim’s head with his finger on the trigger.

His victim, a 52-year-old man was left feeling shocked and terrified, a court heard.

He genuinely feared for his life and thought he was going to die during the incident at his mother’s home in Totton on September 21 last year.

Shilcock, 58, appeared before Southampton Crown Court on Friday facing charges which included threatening to kill and possessing an imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence - he previously pleaded guilty.

Prosecuting barrister, Martyn Booth told how the incident arose between the two men who were embroiled in a spat. Shilcock was in a relationship with his victim’s mother who was in her 70s – he was living at her house.

There “was a great deal of friction between the two men” and his victim “formed the view he was a drinker taking advantage and using her for her money”.

Police carried out a search of the area following the incident in September, however, no gun was ever found and Shilcock claimed someone else must have taken it. He was arrested and released on bail with conditions requiring him to stay away from Southampton and his victim.

Shilcock moved to Trebis Close, Christchurch where he contacted a “former friend” over Facebook.

Between November 27 and December 12 he sent messages to this friend telling him about getting revenge on his victim and how he would cut off his fingers. Shilcock posted a picture of himself online next to the Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe. His friend was “very concerned” and took the threats seriously so contacted the police.

Officers swooped on a pub in Burton, Dorset and arrested Shilcock on December 22 last year.

They found a small axe, black imitation pistol, gaffer tape, handcuffs and cable ties in the boot of his car.

Shilcock’s criminal history stretches back to 1985 when he received a community service order for carrying a prohibited firearm in public. In 1988, Shilcock who has been on remand at HMP Winchester since December 24 was caught impersonating a police officer. Mr Booth said: “He has an unhealthy infatuation with weapons.”

Defending, Richard Martin said how Shilcock had suffered potential trauma to the head at the age of 16 and argued he had not inflicted any physical harm. Judge Nicholas Rowland jailed him for 4.5 years and gave him an indefinite restraining order against his victim.

He also ordered the forfeiture and destruction of the items seized from Shilcock’s car.