SOUTHAMPTON has long been the ideal place to grab a pint.

Historically almost every road had a pub on it – many of them more than one.

Over the past couple of decades dozens of watering holes have shut, including those featured in these pictures.

Each served as a gathering point for locals and their loss is often lamented.

The Daily Echo is going back through the archives to remember some of these bastions of social activity.

The Bald Faced Stag

The Bald Faced Stag was known to have existed as far back as the 1870s when it was known simply as The Stag. The name changed circa 1890. The Bald Faced Stag, located at 36 Edward Road, Shirley, closed in 2012 and is now residential.


Brannigans on High Street was shut in 2003 and, after staying boarded-up for many years, was converted into a Lidl supermarket.

The Big Cheese

The Big Cheese in West End Road was once the Bitterne Brewery, called so because it had it’s own brewery. A 19th century pub stood on the site but was replaced in 1952 by the current building. During the Second World War the publican was killed and the pub damaged by a Luftwaffe bomb. Renamed The Big Cheese. in the 1990s, it closed in 2017.

The Crown and Sceptre

The Crown & Sceptre at 168 Burgess Road was located near Southampton University. The University purchased the building before having it demolished in 2010

The Oddfellows Arms

The Oddfellows Arms was closed in 2008 and demolished in 2012. The premises on St Marys Street is now residential and commercial.

The King Alfred

The King Alfred in Northam Road was known as The Glebe during the 1970s before changing its name back in more recent years.

Ferryman and Firkin

Ferryman & Firkin was located at 36 High Street before closing in 2009. It is now the Turkish restaurant the Ottoman Kitchen.