A MAN held a ten-inch knife to a fake hostage's throat while robbing a Southampton fast food restaurant.

Wilson Oliveira wore a bandana and dark glasses when demanding staff emptied the safe at Burger King in Above Bar Street.

The 22-year-old held the blade to staff member Ana Tavares Da Costa's throat during the raid on September 12 last year.

However, unbeknown to her colleagues the hostage had let him in through a back door and was in on the robbery, Southampton Crown Court heard.

Daily Echo:

Both appeared before Southampton Crown Court on Thursday to be sentenced for robbery.

Oliveira, of Romsey Road, faced an additional charge for the possession of a bladed article.

Prosecution barrister, Simon Foster told how once inside Oliveira demanded the staff members put their phones on the floor and to know where the safe was.

He "made threats to use the knife" and to "stab" Da Costa, 24.

Daily Echo:

After "pushing" her away, he made off with £2,378 in cash which he told one of his victims to put in a rucksack.

Da Costa was said to look shocked after the robbery and sent home.

However, when police officers checked CCTV footage from behind the restaurant they saw her beckoning someone over.

The court heard how Oliveira had met Da Costa the day of the robbery and told her he had a knife and planned to go through with the heist with or without her.

At the end of the shift four members of staff - including Da Costa - had gone for a cigarette break.

Da Costa claimed she had "left her phone outside" and went back to open the door.

Daily Echo:

When police searched her home in Cranbury Avenue they found money in a wardrobe.

They also found a hoodie which matched the one worn by Oliveira.

She "immediately said that the person responsible was Oliveira".

He was arrested outside a pub on The Avenue on September 13.

Both previously of good character pleaded guilty to the charges against them.

Defending barrister Paul Walker said how there had been "some degree of immaturity" on Oliveira's behalf.

Meanwhile, it was argued that Da Costa had been coerced.

Judge Peter Henry jailed Oliveira for 46 months.

Da Costa was given a two-year sentence suspended for two years.