The Atherley first opened its doors on Saturday, September 14, 1912, and was the first picture house in the city to show the first full length talking and singing film Lucky Boy, starring George Jessel.

The Shirley cinema not only changed its name to The Atherley Leisure Centre in December 1975, but also changed what it offered the locals - it became a bingo hall, opened by English stage, screen and radio comedian Tommy Trinder.

The bingo hall received further renovations when in 1979, the huge canopy at the front came under the sledgehammer as part of a scheme to improve the facade.

Just seven years later and the canopy was reintroduced while the name was changed to Leisure Bingo.

READ MORE: More nostalgia and heritage stories >>>

The same canopy still protrudes proudly from the front of the building, although the name reads 'New Century Bingo'.

DON'T MISS OUT: Join our new group on Facebook >>>

After 22 years trading under this name and serving the community as a social club as well as a bingo hall, New Century Bingo announced that they will not be re-opening after the Coronavirus lockdown.

This picture was taken in the early 1960s when Mein Kampf was being shown.