A HELICOPTER crash in the North Sea which left four people dead seven years ago - including a Hampshire man - has had a “dreadful effect” on the survivors and the victims’ families, an inquiry has heard.

Two crew members and 12 passengers on the Super Puma L2 survived when it ditched on its approach to Sumburgh Airport in Shetland at 6.17pm on August 23, 2013.

The accident claimed the life of 57-year-old George Allison from Winchester, as well as three others.

Sheriff Principal Derek Pyle led the fatal accident inquiry (FAI), which began at the end of August and has been held virtually due to the pandemic.

He closed proceedings on Friday and his determination will be published in no more than four weeks.

Daily Echo:

Mr Pyle said: “It is of note we were originally looking at six weeks, then four weeks, and we have managed to do it in much less and that is a great credit to all of the legal teams of all the parties.

“This was a dreadful accident and it’s obvious from the evidence that we’ve heard and indeed from other bits and pieces I’ve been told about the inquiry today that this has had a dreadful effect on the survivors and on the families and friends of the people who died.

Daily Echo:

“Particularly at this time when we are focusing worldwide on all sorts of problems, it brings you up short really and makes you realise the importance of inquiries like this in order to find out what happened and ensure these accidents do not recur in the future.

“I extend my personal sympathies to all the victims’ families and survivors for the effect this accident has had on them.”

Martin Richardson QC, who led the inquiry for the Crown, admitted the seven-year wait for those affected by the accident was “too long”.

Daily Echo:

In his final submission, he said: “The Crown does wish to apologise for the fact this investigation has taken the time it did.

“The Crown accepts seven years is a very, very long time for those who have been involved to wait for an inquiry to be held and that is particularly true for those who survived and the families of those who died.”

Mr Richardson added the role of the inquiry was not to search for fault, saying the Crown takes no issue with that, but suggested Mr Pyle should express it if fault was found.