A GAS mains pipe ruptured in Southampton last night.

Firefighters were called to Victor Street, Shirley, to contain a ruptured gas pipe.

Crews from Redbridge and St Mary's Fire Stations were on the scene.

According to firefighters on the scene, the pipeline burst into flames during work to dig a trench.

Last night they were waiting for an electricity specialist so they could extinguish the fire.

Daily Echo:

Police were also called o the scene but Victor Street remained open.

A statement issued by the school said: "There has been an incident today at Wordsworth Primary School involving a gas pipe. 

"The police and fire brigade are currently on site and dealing with the issue."