A SOUTHAMPTON school will stay shut after a mains gas pipe ruptured.

Huge flames leapt into the air after a gas pipe ruptured on the grounds of Wordsworth Primary School on Thursday.

Firefighters on the scene reported the blaze was sparked during work digging a trench just off the site in Victor Street.

However, the school will now remain closed until Tuesday.

A spokesperson from the primary school said: "The school is currently working with the gas and electricity companies to reconnect supplies.

"Unfortunately at this point, we are uncertain as to whether this will be completed ready for us to open safely on Monday, therefore we are making the decision to close the school on Monday ready for opening on Tuesday."

Crews from Redbridge and St Mary's Fire Stations were called to tackle the fire and were aided by SGN workers.

A spokesperson for Hampshire Fire and Rescue Services said: "The stop message came in at 8.30pm last night, and it says that the fire involved 3m of exposed gas line and electric cables due to accidental damage by a digger. The scene was made safe and the fire was extinguished using two breathing apparatus, two dry powder fire extinguishers and a jet."