A MAN watching football on television launched a potentially fatal attack on his sister after she came home and changed channels, a court was told.

Trevor Fyffe grabbed a knife from the kitchen and repeatedly lunged at Vivienne Golding, inflicting arm injuries in what the judge described as a "sustained" assault.

Fyffe, who was mentally ill at the time, was handed a suspended prison sentence at Southampton Crown Court yesterday.

Michael Forster, prosecuting, said the defendant was living with his mother and Ms Golding when he committed the offence in July 2018.

The two women returned from church and found the defendant watching television in the living room Ms Golding changed channels because she did not think her mother would to watch football.

Fyffe came at her with a knife, striking her on her left arm. She also suffered a deep cut as she tried to defend herself.

"The defendant left the house with the knife and was arrested long after in the street," he said.

Mr Forster said Fyffe was interviewed by police, adding: "He said he was frightened because his sister had done karate for five or ten years and he picked up the knife in case she attacked him."

Fyffe, 61, of Hulse Road, Southampton, pleaded guilty to a charge of wounding.

Charles Gabb, in mitigating, said his client's mental illness had finally been diagnosed and he was responding positively to treatment.

Judge Christopher Parker QC told him: "During an argument about something was something that was completely trivial you picked up a knife, lunged at your sister two or three times and wounded her in the arm.

"Mercifully her injuries were comparatively minor compared to what could have been a terrible and tragic outcome.

You had been suffering from paranoid schizophrenia which had gone untreated for nearly a quarter of a century. This had led to a history of violent behaviour, particularly towards your sister.

"The harm you caused was happily not very great but it could have been fatal. It was a sustained attack and was not the first time you had displayed aggression in the home.

"They need protection. You need help."

Fyffe was jailed for 15 months, suspended for 12 months. He was also handed a 12-month mental health treatment order and a restraining order.