BROCKENHURST School was first established as a charity in 1752 by the Will of Henry Thurston.

The School had just 20 pupils - 10 of them boys, 10 girls - all underprivileged.

Thurston was born in Brockenhurst in 1962 and later became coachman to George Baker whose family home was Brockenhurst Farm.

Henry was buried in the churchyard of St Nicholas Church on September 10, 1745.

The location of the first school is unclear, although it is known to have once been at the house of Matthew Reynolds before moving to Ash Cottage.

A new school building and house was completed on the present site in Sway Road in April 1863.

Brockenhurst Church of England Primary School now enjoys a capacity of 210 pupils.

These pictures were taken in February 2001 and show pupils enjoying a variety of educational activities.