MANY of us miss pubs more than ever right now – but there are some watering holes we've missed for a while longer. 

Here are a selection of Shirley's lost but not forgotten pubs of the past:

_______________________________________________________________

The Blacksmiths Arms

The Blacksmiths Arms dated back to at least 1840 and changed it’s name briefly in the 1990s to The Ringside.

The pub, which was situated at 197 Romsey Road, Shirley closed in 2007 and was converted into homes.

_______________________________________________________________

The Anchor and Hope

The Anchor and Hope was built on the site of the old Andover Inn which dated back to the 1850s.

The pub, which was located at 125 Foundry Lane, Freemantle, closed in 2011 and is now a Co-op store.

_______________________________________________________________

The Shield and Dagger

The Shield and Dagger was once located on Stratton Road.

Formally The Stratton, the watering hole closed down in 2016.

The Shield and Dagger pub, Stratton Road, Shirley. Picture: Chris Moorhouse Sunday 13th March 2016

 

_______________________________________________________________

The Bald Faced Stag

The Bald Faced Stag was known to have existed as far back as the 1870s when it was called The Stag.

The name changed around 1890.

The Bald Faced Stag, located at 36 Edward Road, Shirley, closed in 2012 and is now residential.

Bald Faced Stag.

 

_______________________________________________________________

The Park Hotel

The Park Hotel was located on the corner of Shirley Road and St George’s Road.

The Park Hotel Shirley Road Pub in bloom comp processed by IntelliTune on 15082005 183122 with script 200dpi only

 

_______________________________________________________________

The Black Horse

The Black Horse was situated at 65 Church Street and dates back to at least the 1840s.

The pub was closed in 1967 and the building demolished.

Picture: Bob Bates.

Black Horse

 

_______________________________________________________________

The Crown

The Crown was situated at 73-75 Shirley High Street at the junction with Crown Street.

28 June 2012 - City College Hair and Beauty Awards evening - some of the award winners (L-R) Chloe New , Daisy Stanford , Abbie Mintram , Natasha Coutts and Jo Breeze

 

_______________________________________________________________

Ampthill Hotel

Ampthill Hotel once stood at 72 Ampthill Road at the junction with Waterhouse Lane.

The pub closed in the 1990s and has since been demolished.

Picture: Bob Pearce.

Ampthill Hotel

 

_______________________________________________________________

Old Thatched House

The Old Thatched House in Romsey Road is a listed building and has outlived its use as a pub.

St James Chiropractic Clinic now operate out of the premises.

Watering Hole.......Old Thatched House,Romsey Road ,Shirley.

 

_______________________________________________________________

The Star and Garter

The Star and Garter was once located on the corner of Waterloo Road and Park Road.

The building was demolished and flats were built.

Picture: Gary Reggae.

Star and Garter.jpg