A FAMILY has paid tribute to an “intelligent” and “skilled” man who died as a result of an accidental drug overdose.

Robert Page, a 35-year-old engineer from Southampton died at his home on Woodmill Lane, an inquest has heard.

He had suffered with ADHD and bipolar disorder during his life as well as struggling with drug addiction at points, the hearing was told.

But the inquest heard that he was said to be doing well on the lead up to his death.

On May 20 last year, Robert’s father, Alan, learned that Robert had been taking drugs again and the next morning woke up to see that Robert had tried to call him.

When he called back Robert told his father that he was fine, but that he had taken something.

Later that day Alan went round to Robert’s home to pick up his daughter who they were taking to see her mum, but found Robert sleeping on the sofa.

Alan tried to wake him but could not and upon leaving the home, phoned an addiction agency that instructed him to ring 999.

Having returned to the home, they found Robert had stopped breathing, and started doing CPR.

An ambulance arrived but they were unable to save Robert.

A post mortem showed that he had taken some drugs, causing his heart rate to slow as well as his breathing and this overdose was why his heart had stopped.

In a statement, Robert’s father said: “I would describe my son Rob as a very strong willed character.

“He was happy and has always had a great sense of humour.

“As soon as his daughter was born, she was the light of his life.

“Rob did struggle with drug addiction problems but battled to keep control.”

Robert’s mother, Megan added: “I would describe him as strong willed, an extremely intelligent man who was so fond his daughter that she was his life.”

At the inquest at Portsmouth Coroner Court, area coroner, Christopher Wilkinson concluded that Robert had died as a result of an accidental drug overdose.

He added that he did not think Robert had planned to end his life.