Fire crews in Hampshire responded to multiple cases of damage to property last night, as heavy winds battered the county. 

Storm leaves Southampton homes without water and school closed

Areas of Southampton were left without water and Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service (HFRS) reported that structures had become "dangerous" and trees had fallen by 10pm.

Here is a list of some incidents attended by HFRS last night caused by the weather. 

  • Part of the wall structure had come loose on the roof of a property in Blake Road, Gosport. A crew from Gosport Fire Station were mobilised to make the scene safe at 19:12 last night. The stop came in at 21:25. 
  • One Fareham crew were called out at 19:30 after an external wall of a shop on West Street, Fareham had collapsed onto the adjacent building’s roof. The building and adjacent restaurant were evacuated and a cordon set up with firefighters providing structural advice. 

  • At 21:15 yesterday evening, Cosham firefighters were called out to a block of flats on Havant Road after a second-floor window had buckled due to the wind and was in danger of falling onto the pedestrian footpath below. HIWFRS crews were able to make the window safe before leaving the scene at 21:24. 

  • An HIWFRS officer was mobilised last night to Meath Close on Hayling Island after the wind had caused a flat roof to begin peeling away. Occupiers were advised to relocate for the evening as no action was possible at the time due to the dangerous weather conditions.  

  • Two crews from Southsea were called at 21:43 to Southsea Medical Centre after a temporary structure had disconnected from its anchor points. Firefighters partially deconstructed the structure, ensuring it had been sufficiently anchored, making it safe, before leaving the scene at 22:17. 

  • One HIWFRS officer was mobilised at 22:22 to a block of flats in Ocean Village after reports of a cable from a window cleaning cage had come loose and was being blown about in the wind. On arrival the officer found the cable was secure, but requested with the building management for the maintenance company to secure the cable tighter. HIWFRS left the scene at 22:51 

  • At 22:36 St Mary’s and Southsea crews, including the aerial ladder platform were mobilised to a block on Canute Road in Ocean Village. HIWFRS Control room had received a call reporting that metal sheets from the roof of the block had come loose and were in danger of falling onto the ground. Firefighters used an aerial ladder platform to remove the sheet from the roof before the leaving the scene at 00:46.