It’s the small area close to the city centre that most locals have fond memories of either because they lived there, drank there or shopped there.

Kingsland, as the name would suggest, is land that once belonged to the crown.

The area, situated to the East of the town’s parks was given to St Denys Priory in the 12th century.

It was bought by the town in the 1400s and was thought to have been at least partially covered by orchards to help aid in the production of cider.

As the area developed in the 19th century the open spaces were exchanged for buildings including two pubs, a cinema and housing.

The majority of the buildings were swept away in the 1930s as part of the slum clearance scheme.

Daily Echo:

After the Second World War modern blocks of flats were built in place of the old homes.

One of the pubs, The Kingsland Tavern still exists while The Plume of Feathers became Southampton Buddhist Centre in recent years.

The original Plume of Feathers building was also torn down in the 1930s and replaced with a mock Tudor building.

Daily Echo:

A street market was established in 1881 and became a popular haunt, not just for the traders, but for locals on the lookout for a bargain.

The empty square where the market once took place serves as a reminder to all those that once visited the bustling marketplace.