A DRIVER has been left with serious injuries following a day of motorway chaos.

Part of the M27 at Chilworth was shut after a car transporter went up in flames at around 7am.

Then at midday, near the same junction on the opposite carriageway, a van overturned and the driver sustained serious injuries.

Daily Echo: The crash which caused serious injuries

One witness said other motorists smashed the window of the van to get to the occupant, and that an air ambulance arrived at the scene.

"We were called at 12.10pm to reports of a van overturning on the westbound carriageway of the M27 in Chilworth where it connects with the M3," said a spokesperson for Hampshire Constabulary.

"The driver of the van is reported to have sustained serious injuries."

The earlier car transporter fire forced all lanes of the M27 eastbound to close at the junction with the M3.

Daily Echo: Dashcam footage of the fire

A spokesperson for Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service said: "Firefighters were called just before 7am to a large vehicle fire on the hard shoulder of the M3 near Chilworth.

"The large car transporter, carrying eight cars, was well alight with excessive smoke emanating, when crews from Redbridge, Totton, Eastleigh, Romsey and St Mary’s arrived on the scene having been called at 6:57.

"Police colleagues were in attendance to close lanes, with the M27 and other roads being affected."

Daily Echo: Firefighters tackle the car transporter blaze on the M27. Photos by Dave Graham

The driver was safely out of the vehicle and there were no casualties involved.

According to ROMANSE, Hampshire County Council's live travel service, the closures were in place between 7am and 3pm. This was despite Highways England predicting closures of just two hours.

But shortly after the busy stretch reopened, a lorry had broken down, meaning traffic was still delayed.

Delays throughout the day were as long as 70 minutes, with drivers urged to take a diversion route that had been signposted by emergency services.