AERIAL images reveal the huge amount of demolition work that has taken place on a 300-acre site formerly occupied by Fawley power station.

Earlier this year photographer Andy Amor flew over Southampton Water to capture the building’s 650ft chimney and the southern end of its vast turbine hall before they disappeared forever.

Mr Amor took to the skies again after the latest in a series of controlled explosions were carried out on Sunday.

His latest images show that virtually nothing now remains of the former power station, which dominated the area and was visible for miles around.

Most of the oil-fired facility has been reduced to rubble, leaving only the circular control room and a few other buildings.

The huge bangs and accompanying flash that occurred three days ago marked the fourth and final “explosive event” staged by specialist contractors Brown and Mason.

Fawley Waterside, which has devised a £1bn project to redevelop the site, says machinery will be used to demolish the rest of the structure over the next few months.

But campaigners are continuing to call for the control room - dubbed the “flying saucer” because of its size and shape - to be retained.

Some describe it as a unique structure that should have been awarded listed building status.

Proposals to build a restaurant at the top of the iconic chimney had to be abandoned after the idea ran into opposition from the local planning authorities. The decision sparked calls for the control room to be used instead.

Crowds watched as the chimney came down in less than ten seconds - after towering over the Fawley and Calshot area since the late 1960s.

New Forest councillor David Harrison said: “I guess the fact it’s always been there makes you feel a sense of loss.

“I feel the same way about the control room. I have been inside a couple of times and both the interior and exterior are quite something and perhaps should been given conservation status.”

Fawley Waterside is planning to build up to 1,500 homes on the site, part of which is currently being used to store wind turbine blades.

As reported in the Daily Echo, the huge project is expected to take about 20 years.

Meanwhile, Fawley Waterside has apologised after its attempt to live stream the demolition of the chimney ended in failure.

Posting on social media it said: "Despite the treacherous weather Brown and Mason executed a perfect event. A testimony to their continued hard work, dedication and skill.

"We sincerely apologise to everyone who tuned in to watch the live stream promised. We really wanted you to be part of this historical moment.

"Due to the extreme weather conditions on site we experienced a number of technical difficulties that caused the live stream to fail.

"We switched to our back-up camera but struggled with enough signal to get the high resolution footage live."