A MAN pinned his vulnerable victim to the ground in her own home before raping her, a court heard.

Ian Malcolm Cookson invited a former friend out for social drinks.

The two then returned to the woman’s home in Eastleigh where Cookson attacked her, pinned her down and raped her.

The 55-year-old of Powell Crescent, Totton, even bit her leaving her bruised.

Prosecution barrister, Mary Aspinall-Miles read a summary of the woman’s victim personal statement which said: “She has felt totally broken. She has become depressed and attempted suicide three times.”

Daily Echo: Ian CooksonIan Cookson

The statement went on to say how Cookson’s victim had been left feeling completely worthless and become frightened of living in her house.

Ms Aspinall-Miles said: “She had a previous problem with drink but since this incident, it has become out of control.”

She had “effectively self-medicated with alcohol”.

Furthermore: “Last year she ended up in hospital with an overdose.

“The aggravating features, in any event, are the place of the offence. It was in her own home and there was a high degree of force.

“This victim was essentially vulnerable, and he knew it,” Ms Aspinall-Miles added.

Appearing at Southampton Crown Court, Cookson stood to be sentenced for rape, assault by penetration and sexual assault.

He was found guilty of all three offences following a trial earlier in the year at the same court.

In mitigation, Gemma White, argued that Cookson was effectively of good character.

She said that he had led a family life, worked, and was a productive member of society.

Ms White added that his victim did not present as a vulnerable woman and that Cookson demonstrated vulnerabilities of his own.

She said that the passing of his mother had had a “significant impact on him but also his wider family who are going to have to deal with that loss without the support of Mr Cookson”.

Judge Gary Burrell QC deemed the offences which happened on August 1 in 2019, as serious and that they were aggravated by the fact that the defendant had been drinking alcohol.

He was jailed for a total of five-years