A DANGEROUS driver has been jailed for 18 months, after leaving a teen motorcyclist with "devastating and life changing injuries".

Darren Howett, 50, used deliberate braking to cause Aaron Alford, 18-years-old at the time, to swerve on his motorbike into another vehicle.

This left Mr Alford fighting for his life, with him unable to even pick up his 11-month-old daughter despite being "on the road to recovery".

Despite the car not being in a fit condition for the road, and Howett being without insurance or licence, it was his dangerous driving that caused the crash.

Salisbury Crown Court heard today (Thursday) that on March 12 last year Howett bought a Volkswagen Golf that was not suitable for the road.

The court heard it was advertised as needing new features, with particular reference to the brakes and a missing wing mirror.

Howett however drove the car that day, and faced Mr Alford and brother Jason on their motorbikes after he left a petrol station.

Abuse was exchanged between the trio after Howett caused Mr Alford to swerve and hit a kerb.

After that, Howett chose to drive close to Mr Alford, until he swerved right and used his brakes.

This caused Mr Alford to be "flung into the air", the court heard, with the motorcyclist then landing on a trailer.

Howett left the collision on Coppice Hill, Bishop’s Waltham, at speed, between 70 and 80mph, and then attempted to hide his car and subsequent damages behind two bins near his home.

It was confirmed by the driver of the trailer hit by Mr Alford, William Green, that there was no reason for Howett to use his brakes, the court heard.

In a statement written after the crash, Mr Alford said: "I thought I was going to die. I didn't think I would see my family again."

The court heard that Mr Alford experienced a medically induced coma, three operations and colostomy, and injuries included a fractured femur and paralysed arm.

He now "needs help with everything" and suffers from "nightmares and hallucinations".

As a result of the crash, Mr Alford does not currently have a job or licence, and "struggles to see anything positive".

Howett had previously questioned the extent of Mr Alford's injuries, as he posted a picture of a new motorbike on social media, despite claims he would not be able to ride again.

In a separate statement, Mr Alford's mother said: "[It has been a] long, slow path to help him get to where he is now.

"The road to recovery is long and hard, but he will never be the same again."

In mitigation, the court heard that Howett had a "fragile family life", and going to jail would affect the wellbeing of his 16-year-old son.

He has already appeared in court 23 times, with another incident of dangerous driving recorded in 2006.

Howett changed his plea to guilty on the first day of the trial, and has now been given the immediate custodial sentence.

Describing the injuries as "devastating and life changing", Judge Andrew Barnett said: "You have left this man in an appalling condition, caused by your thoughtless and totally dangerous driving.

"His life has been ruined completely."

As well as the jail sentence Howett, of Bishopsfield Road, Fareham, was also disqualified from driving for four years and nine months.