A FIRE that destroyed the roof of a Gosport home was started by sunlight reflecting off glass, it is believed. 

Last Thursday, the roof of a terraced property in Selsey Avenue collapsed after a fire. 

Firefights from Gosport, Fareham, Southsea, Cosham and Portchester worked to battle the blaze which started at around 10.30am. 

Now it has been revealed that a combination of extreme heat and glassware refracting the sunlight is the believed cause. 

READ MORE: House at Selsey Avenue, Gosport, badly damaged in blaze

Incident Commander Phil Foxton said: “Incidents like this are a rare occurrence, but a shocking reality, which can cause significant damage to your home.

“We advise you keep mirrors or glass objects away from windows, as in direct sunlight they can magnify the sun’s rays and burn soft furnishings in the room.”

The occupants of the home were out of the two-storey building by the time the roof collapsed and nobody was hurt. 

Firefighters extinguished the blaze using breathing apparatus, hose reels and jets.

The stop message came in at 1.23pm and the incident was scaled down. 

A message from the Editor

Thank you for reading this article - we appreciate your support in reading the Daily Echo.

Subscribing to the Echo means you have unrestricted access to the latest news, features and Saints coverage - all with an advertising-light website.

You will also have full access to Saintsplus, your new home for Southampton FC tactical analysis, features and much, much more.

Don't take my word for it - subscribe here to see for yourself.

Follow the latest breaking news in the Southampton area by joining our Facebook group - Southampton News - Breaking News and Incidents

Follow the latest court and crime news on our dedicated Facebook group - Hampshire Court and Crime News