A JEALOUS woman strangled her girlfriend after she received a Snapchat message from a man, a court heard.

Louisa Castle, 29, launched a string of violent attacks on her lover, strangling her and leaving her traumatised.

Castle was at her girlfriend's home in Southampton when the argument started.

She became increasingly angry and jealous when her partner received a message from a man - lashing out and pushing her onto the bed. 

Southampton Crown Court heard she strangled her partner who then warned Castle their relationship would be "over" if Castle ever hurt her again.

But just hours later, the violence continued.

READ MORE: Onslow Road Southampton crash: Three girls injured in 'hit-and-run'

Castle became increasingly abusive after a trip to the Mitre pub in Portswood where the pair drank multiple bottles of beer and shots.

The court heard how her 19-year-old girlfriend rang the police as Castle wept and became more agitated. 

Castle punched her partner, striking her five times, before her girlfriend kicked Castle in in the knee - leaving her temporarily unable to walk.

Castle was arrested at her home, while her girlfriend was taken to hospital with bruising and swelling.

Left with a black eye, she said in a statement read out in court: “I have put up huge barriers mentally because of the emotional damage.”

She added she has “suffered long enough”.

Daily Echo: Southampton Crown Court. Southampton Crown Court.

Castle admitted two charges of assault by beating and one of criminal damage after the incident on May 22, 2021.

But in mitigation, defence barrister Ed Wilde said she had stayed away from alcohol since the incident and “grown up”.

Addressing the defendant, Judge Peter Henry said: “What you did on that occasion was quite unacceptable and thoroughly frightening for the victim."

He said a report on Castle indicated she “doesn’t seem to accept responsibility”.

Castle of Winchester Court, Romsey, was handed five months in jail suspended for two years.

She was also ordered to complete 20 days of rehabilitation and carry out 120 hours of unpaid work.

A restraining order was put in place banning Castle from contacting her victim for the next three years and she was also ordered to pay £500 in compensation.

A message from the Editor

Thank you for reading this article - we appreciate your support in reading the Daily Echo.

Subscribing to the Echo means you have unrestricted access to the latest news, features and Saints coverage - all with an advertising-light website.

You will also have full access to Saintsplus, your new home for Southampton FC tactical analysis, features and much, much more.

Don't take my word for it - subscribe here to see for yourself.

Follow the latest breaking news in the Southampton area by joining our Facebook group - Southampton News - Breaking News and Incidents

Follow the latest court and crime news on our dedicated Facebook group - Hampshire Court and Crime News