A SOUTHAMPTON man who faked a hostage situation threatened to kill any police officers sent to the scene.

Jacob Woodford appeared in court following an incident at a holiday camp in which he claimed he had a hostage tied up inside a caravan.

On September 8 last year, the 29-year-old called 999 stating he had a sawn-off shotgun that he would use to harm himself.

The incident in Selsey, Sussex sparked a one-hour stand-off with armed response officers and police negotiators.

READ MORE: Woman more than twice the legal limit banned from the roads

Earlier in the day, at 6.42pm, Portsmouth Crown Court heard that officers had attended the holiday park and arrested a person known to Woodford on suspicion of assault. The person was later released without charge.

Woodford then said he drank vodka and mixers before calling 999 to demand that the person was released from custody.

He threatened to take his own life and claimed he had a firearm, adding he would kill any police who were sent to the caravan park.

Woodford then said: "I’ve got someone here, he can’t speak right now, he’s tied up."

READ MORE: In the dock: 10 cases heard in court

He eventually agreed to surrender following the stand-off.

During his interview, he apologised for his “drunken mistake”.

When officers searched the caravan where he was staying, no weapons were found and there was no evidence of any other person being inside.

Woodford, of Benhams Road, Southampton, admitted one charge of sending a communication conveying a threatening message, under the Malicious Communications Act.

He appeared at Portsmouth Crown Court on July 8 where it was revealed he had committed the offence just one month after being given a suspended prison sentence for assaulting a police officer in Hampshire.

He was sentenced to a total of ten months in prison for his offence and for breaching his suspended sentence.

Detective Sergeant Chris May, from Chichester CID, said: “Woodford’s drunken 999 call caused great concern.

“Our contact handler acted professionally to keep him calm and gather important information, but Woodford continued to escalate the situation by making threats to harm himself and others.

“The offence he committed was less than one month after he had received a suspended prison sentence from West Hampshire Magistrates’ Court for assaulting a police officer.

“His threatening phone call needlessly put himself, our officers, and other members of the public at risk.

"It also meant that specialist officers could have been prevented from attending a potentially critical incident elsewhere while they responded to him.

“We are pleased with the outcome of this case. It demonstrates our determination to prosecute offenders who put the public at risk.”

A message from the Editor

Thank you for reading this article - we appreciate your support in reading the Daily Echo.

Subscribing to the Echo means you have unrestricted access to the latest news, features and Saints coverage - all with an advertising-light website.

You will also have full access to Saintsplus, your new home for Southampton FC tactical analysis, features and much, much more.

Don't take my word for it - subscribe here to see for yourself.

Follow the latest breaking news in the Southampton area by joining our Facebook group - Southampton News - Breaking News and Incidents

Follow the latest court and crime news on our dedicated Facebook group - Hampshire Court and Crime News