A mum has spoken of her horror after finding a live maggot in her daughter’s Happy Meal.

Shannon Carly said her six-year-old daughter Millie was traumatised after discovering the larva in her burger.

The 26-year-old had taken her two daughters to the Millbrook branch on July 25.

But what was supposed to be a treat turned into a nightmare for the family after ordering two Happy Meals and a Big Mac.

Shannon said: “My eldest Millie ate all her chips, then she normally separates her burger from the bun before she eats it.

“As she opened her burger, she started screaming and crying.

“I asked her what was wrong, and as I got to her, I saw a maggot, still alive, covered in ketchup in her burger.”

Daily Echo: The maggot found in the burger The maggot found in the burger (Image: Shannon Carly)

Millie was inconsolable following the discovery of the maggot and was unable to sleep that night, Shannon said.

Her father phoned the Millbrook branch to complain but "no apology" was given.

READ MORE: Hampshire McDonald's manager 'offers teen staff member vapes for sex acts'

Shannon said: “I won’t be ordering a McDonald’s again, from any of the branches.

“When I saw the maggot I checked all our food and took it off the kids, and it smelt awful.

“Millie was screaming and crying, proper sobbing when it happened, as she had already eaten a few bits of the burger.

“She was up all night crying because she thought she might’ve eaten a maggot.

“She has been traumatised and put off for life.”

Shannon added: “When I say to her about having McDonald’s now you can see the fear in her face.

“Millie is still so shaken up about it, it definitely shocked her.”

Daily Echo:

McDonald’s in Millbrook was previously rated as "very good" following a food hygiene inspection in 2020.

A spokesperson from the fast-food giant said an investigation was conducted into the incident.

They said: “We are sorry to hear about this customers experience.

“Food safety is of the utmost importance to us and we place great emphasis on quality control, following rigorous standards to avoid any imperfections.

“As soon as the team were made aware, they conducted a restaurant-level investigation and also contacted their pest-prevention company to complete their own.

“Both investigations have been unable to find anything to suggest this originated in the restaurant.

“We would encourage the customer to contact our Customer Services Team directly who can support further.”