A FUNDRAISER for the family of a man who died two months after his lung cancer diagnosis is on the cusp of hitting a new milestone.

Christien Hurley from Totton was diagnosed on Sunday, June 25 - a devastating bolt from the blue for him and his partner Abbie Charlton.

Despite starting treatment, complications meant the 38-year-old had to be put into an induced coma and died on Thursday, July 20 - moments after Abbie played him a message from his daughter Miah, aged three.

READ MORE: Totton dad dies less than a month after cancer diagnosis

In the wake of his death, a GoFundMe fundraiser was set up by friends and family to support his fiancée and daughter.

It said Christien 'would never have chose to leave his loving family and friends, but in the end he had no fight left and his body just couldn’t take anymore'.

The fundraiser organisers added: "His family have been overwhelmed with the generosity, kindness and love for him. He really was the best of the best."

Now, the appeal is fast approaching the £10,000 mark.

Daily Echo:

Reacting to the donations, Abbie said: "I never imagined we would raise that much money, and every time I look at the figure, I’m reminded how much he was truly loved. 

"I will never forget the kindness that people have shown me and Miah."

News of Christien's death lead to an outpouring of sympathy in the community.

On the Daily Echo Facebook page, June Saunders added: "Heartbreaking to read this. Sorry doesn't come close. My condolences to all his family and friends."

Jan L Horley said: "Such a beautiful man, will be missed by so many people."

A couple of weeks before Christien was diagnosed at Southampton General Hospital, he coughed up blood - and the day before, he was left with severe chest pains.

Abbie said she was 'devastated' by the diagnosis, adding: "Christien was the positive one, telling me how it would be ok, even when he was the person going through it."

Having recovered from a heart infection, Christien got better with the support of Abbie and began chemotherapy.

But a bleed around the lung tumour led to sepsis and the Welshman was put into an induced coma.

As his condition worsened, Abbie decided not to bring Miah to hospital - but instead used technology to bring them together.

She said: "She made a beautiful video where she sang a funny song they always used to share, and she said, ‘I love you, daddy’. I played this in his ear, and within 20 minutes, he had passed.

"He loved his little girl with everything he had, and our little family just meant the world to him."