A serious crash on the M27 caused traffic chaos yesterday afternoon.

The westbound side was closed between junction two and three as emergency services dealt with the incident.

Motorists were stuck in traffic for several hours.

UPDATE: Police have now confirmed a man died in the collision. Read the latest here.

Here’s everything we know about the incident

What happened?

Emergency services were called to the scene of the crash on Friday afternoon.

Police and the air ambulance were in attendance.

The motorway reopened after 7.30pm last night.

Daily Echo: The M27 westbound was closed between junction three and two on Friday

A spokesperson from Hampshire Constabulary said: "Following a serious collision on the M27 earlier today, the road has now been cleared and all lanes have been reopened.

“Thank you for your patience while emergency services dealt with this incident.”

The force previously told the Echo: “We were called to a serious collision at 1.17pm near junction 3 of the M27 westbound.

"Emergency services are in attendance and we would ask people avoid the area if possible while we respond.

"The motorway is closed at junction 3."

No information about the nature of the incident was provided.

Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance was called and two doctors and a specialist paramedic provided medical treatment to a patient before returning to base.

Queues of traffic

Delays of over seven hours affected the M27 from junction three to two on the westbound side.

READ MORE: Speed camera flashing motorists travelling below limit, report claims

Motorists travelling on the M3 near Eastleigh were also affected by the delays, with queues trailing back from the M27.

There were solid queues of traffic to Redbridge on the southbound M271 and Test Lane.

The delays stretched back to Westquay Shopping Centre, while queues formed inbound along Bassett Avenue and Winchester Road.

Romsey was also hit by delays, with gridlocked traffic throughout the town and on all approaches.

What have people said?

Commenting on the Daily Echo Facebook page, Nikki Barrow said: "I’m stuck in it at the moment.

"It’s horrific. No one is moving and [my] sat nav says it’s going to take one hour 20 mins to go six miles, so it’s bad!

"I just hope everyone is ok, at least I’m going home."

Simon Arms said: "[I] Hope the people are not badly injured."

Sophie Newman was among those stuck in traffic.

She commented: "[I'm] Stuck in it now about half a mile down.

"So many emergency vehicles have passed. Doesn't look good."