The South Coast club put in a stellar showing at Bolton's Burnden Park, reigniting their promotion ambitions for the 1965/66 season.

On October 9th, The Dell camp was reinvigorated after achieving an exhilarating 3-2 win at the renowned old ground in Division 2. This occurred after their remarkable triumph in the 9-3 victory against Wolves three weeks earlier.

Saints had enjoyed a night of goal-scoring in the previous game, but could not carry that momentum into their next two matches. At Rotherham, they fell to a narrow 1-0 loss, and then back at home against Manchester City, they were unable to find the net once again as their opponents ran out 1-0 victors.

The lack of a goalmouth presence in the game against City could be attributed to Terry Paine's absence. However, upon his return for the match at Bolton, it became abundantly clear that he was going to be the difference maker.

Saints were quite relieved Bolton's Welsh international striker Wyn Davies was out of contention for the game, as he had found success in both matches between the two clubs during the previous season. Scoring four times, his absence could have influenced their chances.

Bolton had no response to George O'Brien's first-half goal. However, with just fifteen minutes left on the clock, everything changed as the intensity surged and four goals were scored in rapid succession. However, Saints emerged from the great drama with their lead still intact.

Missing key players in fullbacks Ken Jones and Dennis Hollywood, Saints' defence was a little shaky. But Bolton were unable to capitalize on this advantage due to their attack lacking Davies. Furthermore, things took a turn for worse when centre-half John Napier had to be taken off with a leg injury early in the second half.

The Southampton team had a notable boost in energy when Paine came back, and O'Brien - who had been injured in the previous game with Manchester City - was able to demonstrate his vigor by persistently testing the Bolton backline. His effort was rewarded with two goals.

Jimmy Melia worked industriously in the middle of the park and John Sydenham made some dangerous runs down the left flank.

It was he who produced the shot from which O’Brien edged home the first goal after 38 minutes.

After pressing the Saints for some time, Bolton hit back through Roy Greaves (later to become manager) who drove home the equaliser in the 75th minute.

Daily Echo: Dell favourite George O'Brien scored two of the goals as Saints won away.

It stung Saints into abandoning their defensive posture and driving forward again and they regained the lead within four minutes when their big, home-grown centre-forward, Martin Chivers, headed home after the Bolton ’keeper had only partially cleared a Ken Wimshurst cross.

With the game now swinging from end to end Saints needed some breathing space and Chivers gave them the opportunity to create a two-goal cushion when his shot for goal drew a desperate handball from Farrimond. It was a clear penalty which was confidently converted by the Scot O’Brien.

Bolton came alive and two minutes later Greaves dashed in and put the ball into the back of the net for his second goal.

It was a battle to the end, yet Southampton managed to hang on for a crucial victory that proved vital at the end of the season when they grabbed their first-ever promotion to the top flight by a point.