When Saints took on Huddersfield 13 years ago, little did anyone know how important it could potentially have been - for two reasons.

It came off the back of a 5-1 win against Walsall just a few days beforehand, giving them an impressive nine points to add to their goal difference from just the two matches.

But the goals aren’t the only reason why the match against the Saddlers at St Mary’s on March 2, 2010, was so special - it was also the debut of a bright young Saints star.

Daily Echo: Saints v Huddersfield. March 2, 2010.

Alan Pardew’s men got off to a rip-roaring start, taking the lead on the 16-minute mark. A well-placed ball by Jason Puncheon down the right side opened up an opportunity for a cross into the penalty area met by Rickie Lambert with a trademark header that bounced in off the underside of the bar.

After five minutes, it was the heroics of Davis that ensured Southampton remained on even terms. He managed to block Lee Novak's attempted overhead kick with an impressive fend-off from his left arm.

At first, the stop seemed inconsequential in terms of what was being reflected on the scoreline, but in regards to the entire match it proved to be a pivotal moment that empowered Saints.

Daily Echo: Saints v Huddersfield. March 2, 2010.

24 minutes into the game, the score was 2-0; Dean Hammond crossed from the right and found a slightly off-balance Lee Barnard who had to stretch behind him for the ball. Despite this, he still managed to loop his header over the keeper.

The game was all but finished ten minutes later when Puncheon decided to take matters into his own hands. He burst forward on the right side of the area, before quickly veering onto his left foot. His aim was true and he sent an exquisite shot crashing off the inside of the post and nestling into the bottom corner of the net for 3-0.

Huddersfield received respite shortly before halftime when Alex Smithies tipped a Lambert free-kick from 30 yards over the bar.

Daily Echo: Saints v Huddersfield. March 2, 2010.

Then Adam Lallana almost made the most of Huddersfield's keeper spilling Barnard's shot, although he could not quite turn home the rebound.

The second half was more of the same.

In the 76th minute, Hammond finally struck for a goal he'd been working towards all match. Puncheon's corner was flicked across Smithies to put his hard work to fruition. His tireless attacking runs evidently paid off.

Daily Echo: Saints v Huddersfield. March 2, 2010.

With the match seemingly destined to end in a stalemate, Papa Waigo made sure there was a celebratory atmosphere four minutes from time.

Having advanced on goal, Waigo attempted to beat the keeper, Smithies. The keeper got to the ball but couldn't hold onto it and it fell to the ground. Taking advantage of the situation, Waigo swiftly manoeuvred around the loose ball and fired a low shot into the net.

At the end of the match, Lambert was given a moment to rest and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain had his chance to shine.

The 16-year-old made his debut and stepped up to take a shot but unfortunately struck it over the bar not too long after he had come off the bench