An 85-year-old man has no idea where his Rolls Royce is after the car dealer he instructed to sell it was jailed for fraud.

Gerald Ayres handed over his 1972 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow to Jonathan Nolan on October 12 after he agreed to sell it for him in exchange for a cut of the proceeds.

But ten days later, the retired mechanic was shocked to read in the Daily Echo that Nolan had been jailed for six counts of fraud relating to the sale of vehicles he didn't have.

He has since been trying to track down his classic car, which was expected to sell for around £10,000, but doesn't know where it is or how he would go about getting it back.

READ MORE: Southampton car dealer made £80k selling cars he didn't have

The great-grandfather, who lives in Fareham, said he first saw the advert for Nolan's business in a Rolls Royce enthusiast magazine and decided to contact him.

"I just thought it was an easy way out without all of the hassle - which is stupid of me really. I'd seen his ad before from time to time.

“He came round and was quite plausible. I said 'what happens if anything happens to you health-wise'. Anything can happen.

"He said 'don't worry, my wife knows everything'.

"I don't know if you can imagine how I feel and how stupid I feel to be caught out after all these years.

"We came to an arrangement that he would keep the car until January and if it hadn't sold, he would bring it back.

"It was a sale or return arrangement and he was to take about 10 per cent."

Nolan, 62, was jailed for 16 months after he pleaded guilty to six counts of fraud and one of breaching a suspended sentence.

Daily Echo: Gerald Ayres' 1972 Rolls Royce Silver ShadowGerald Ayres' 1972 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow (Image: Supplied)

Mr Ayres said when Nolan originally came to pick up the car, he claimed he had just collected another Rolls Royce and that he would store it in a lock-up with other vehicles.

The Rolls Royce has a 6.8 litre engine and has around 100,000 miles.

Mr Ayres, who has worked in the motor trade since 1962, described it as a “toy” and said he only drove it for around 200 miles each year.

He had bought it from a family member and had originally intended to pass it on to his son before eventually deciding to sell it.

The incident has been reported to the police but officers say no criminal offence has taken place.

A spokesperson said: “On Friday 24 November, we received a report relating to the sale of a car in Fareham.

“Officers reviewed the report and at this stage no criminal offences have been identified so a police investigation is not required.”

Mr Ayres added: “I don't know how I walked into this. I just get the impression (the police) aren’t taking it very seriously.

“There will be somebody else in the same position as me. I blame myself more than anything else.

“I am quite desperate to get that car back if it is possible or find out what happened to it.”

UPDATE: Mr Ayres has since confirmed that the car was returned.