A woman was seriously injured following a crash at a busy junction.

Motorists faced traffic chaos after a large cordon was put in place on Romsey Road in Southampton.

Arrest made 

Daily Echo:

Police officers were called to the scene shortly after 1pm on Monday following reports of a crash between a car and a pedestrian.

The incident happened at the junction with Wimpson Lane.

The woman, aged in her 20s, was taken to hospital by crew from the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance.

Police also arrested a 23-year-old man from Southampton on suspicion of driving under the influence and causing serious injury by careless driving.

He remains in custody.

'A nightmare'

Sally Rose, who lives on Romsey Road, described the area as a ‘nightmare’ for accidents.

She said: “I didn’t see anything, but I heard the helicopter.

“I was wondering what all the noise was.

“This road is a nightmare. People are always tooting and honking at each other.

“Something needs to be looked at.”

@southerndailyecho A huge police cordon is in place at the Wimpson Lane/Romsey Road junction in Southampton following a crash. More updates on our website 📲 #southampton #hampshire #crash ♬ original sound - Daily Echo

One bus passenger said she was 'surprised' at the incident after seeing it when she got off the bus.

The Maybush resident, who did not want to be named, said: "I don’t know how I’m going to pick my daughter up with the closures.”

Heavy delays 

Daily Echo:

Police shut Romsey Road at its junction with Rownhams Road and Wimpson Lane.

Those driving towards the junction on approach from Romsey Road were forced to make a U-turn by CareCo.

Officers also extended the cordon across the CareCo car park to Rownhams Road, with the road shut from the bus stop.

Those coming from the direction of Wimpson Lane could turn right onto Romsey Road, and the other way around (but left if from Romsey Road direction).

Severe delays were caused because of the numerous closures.

Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance confirmed that the air ambulance, carrying one doctor and two specialist paramedics, was dispatched to the incident.

A spokesperson from the service said: “The patient was taken to hospital by road, with the air ambulance crew travelling with the patient to continue providing treatment.”